Connecting Employers to a Qualified Workforce
Workforce Development & Education
The chamber recognizes the vital importance of maintaining and developing new and innovative workforce and job development programs to enhance and attract qualified employees. The Chamber supports:
- Initiatives that strengthen connections among students, parents, educators, and guidance counselors of career and technical education (CTE) opportunities and regionally in-demand careers.
- Efforts to improve coordination between Virginia’s employers, job training programs, and education communities to meet industry, workforce, and student needs.
- Funding for regional career and technical education communities.
- Emphasis on science, technology, engineering, math and health (STEM-H) courses in K-12 and Virginia’s colleges and universities, in addition to coursework in areas of trades and public service, that encourage the next generation of small business owners.
- Education + Workforce Committee focuses efforts in Rockbridge County and collaborating with educators and employers on common projects and programs that focus on talent and workforce development.
- CareerFest – Held in March at the Virginia Horse Center, CareerFest introduces middle school students to careers in trades and public service.